Thursday 27 December 2012

vSphere 5 versus Hyper-V SP1 Performance Showdown

It's time to stop guessing and start testing.

vSphere 5 is the most popular x86-virtualization platform, and exciting enhancements keep coming with each new release.

Hyper-V from Microsoft is also a popular solution for server virtualization on the x86 platform, and it has become even more so with the addition of advanced features in SP1. The fact that Hyper-V is included with Windows also makes it attractive from a cost perspective.

Understanding the performance aspects of these virtual environments is important to ensuring that you get maximum benefit from your virtualization investments.

The usual way to test performance between platforms is through benchmarking. The ideal benchmark would incorporate real production workloads, which in most cases is not feasible. An alternative is to utilize generic benchmarks that approximate production workloads.

I recently carried out a general performance comparison between vSphere and Hyper-V, across all major components using identical generic benchmarking tools.I also examined virtualization specific performance metrics that are available in both environments.

On January 3, 2013(8am PT, 9am MT, 10am CT, 11am ET, 4pm UK, 5pm CET) I'll run through the results with you on a webinar.

As a basic understanding of the hypervisor architecture is important when evaluating performance data I'll also be looking at architectures, compared and related to available metrics and discussing important differences in architecture and terminology .

I'll share my benchmark results from both environments along with conclusions that I've formed from my findings.

Join me as I compare two of the most popular x86-virtualization platforms in use.

  • Architecture review
  • Metrics available
  • Challenges of benchmarking virtual environments
  • Testing environment and benchmarks
  • Methods and objectives
  • Results and conclusions

Register for this Webinar

Look forward to speaking to you then.

Dale Feiste
Consultant

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dale, can i get the slide deck for this showdown, I unfortunately missed the webinar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Genghis

    If you'd like to email me dale.feiste@metron-athene.com I can send you a link to the recording of the showdown event.

    Regards

    Dale

    ReplyDelete