Friday 9 September 2016

Monitoring and managing memory - Windows Server Capacity Management 101(11 of 12)

When monitoring and managing memory in Windows there are normally a couple of questions that people always ask, so I thought I'd deal with these.

How full can I run memory?

I find that a good rule of thumb is 90%.


How do I know when we're starting to run out of memory?

There are a number of indicators that can alert you to the fact that there are problems with memory and these are:

·       Page faults increase

·       Soft faults occur first (move things around in memory)

·       Then hard faults (write pages to disk)

·       Increases reads from and writes to page file (hard faults)

·       Reads from image files can increase

·       Eventually the system will stop responding – or just stop


In my final blog on Monday I'll be looking at how to monitor and manage disk and summarizing.
Don't miss out on our next webinar which takes place next Wednesday ' We’ve got to improve the bottom line! How Business Capacity Management can help to bring profitability to the business.' http://www.metron-athene.com/services/webinars/index.html

Josh Worth
Consultant
 

No comments:

Post a Comment