Wednesday 5 September 2012

vSphere vs Hyper-V - Challenges in benchmarking virtual environments


Challenges in benchmarking virtual environments

 
Today I'm going to cover a few of the challenges in benchmarking virtual environments.

Clock skew – for benchmarking in a virtual environment the clock can actually be impacted or not the same and skew some of the metrics. If metrics are collected by the hypervisor there is less chance of this happening.

NUMA - (non-uniform memory access) scheduling. CPU’s which may be assigned to certain sections of memory and when you allocate numerous machines and they go across different spaces you can end up with some performance degradation.

Pass-through I/O - provides disk performance on a par with physical disk performance. Pass-through disks are essentially physical disks/LUNs that are attached to a virtual machine and do not support some of the functionality of virtual disks. All the I/O that I am doing is virtualized.

Workload definition – You would normally wish to test or benchmark with your own workloads.

32 versus 64 bit OS and applications – understanding hardware and software system requirements

Where to use solid state I/O devices – solid state I/O devices are becoming more popular so you will need to know when and where to use these.

Storage tiersbased on usage and priority policies you need to look at setting a strategy for for tiered storage.

Hidden overhead – Virtualization requires overhead so you do need to keep this in mind.

The list could go on and on…………but I have covered what I consider to be some of the main challenges.
 
On Friday I'll be telling you the test environment and testing methods that I used to compare performance.
 
Dale Feiste
Consultant

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment