Monday 24 September 2012

vSphere vs Hyper-V performance showdown - I/O metrics


I’ve selected a handful of I/O metrics to show you

 
·        vSphere queue latency

·        vSphere device latency

·        Hyper-V disk throughput

 
vSphere Queue Latency
There are different metrics across different platforms and some platforms do not have matching metrics. Queue latency is an example of this as it is available in vSphere but not in Hyper-V.
 
 
During the test you can see that I/O queue latency was minimal, which was a little surprising and means that the I/O was going through on demand.
 
vSphere Device Latency
This shows the actual response time from the device and when the tests were running this spiked up.
 
 
Hyper-V Disk Throughput
This shows the overall read/write at bytes per second, the spikes show where the large file was being written out. When reading there was more caching going on and less I/O, which is what you would expect.
 
These have been some examples of the types of metrics that you would be likely to use and analyze.

During the tests I found some interesting observations which I'd like to share with you on Wednesday.
 
Dale Feiste
Consultant

 

No comments:

Post a Comment