Wednesday 12 September 2012

vSphere vs Hyper-V showdown - Results - Individual VM Disk


Results - Individual VM Disk

Today I’ll be looking at the results for individual VM Disk.


Write out a 512mb file.
 

You can see that vSphere took a little longer than Hyper-V to write.

The next step was to read in the 512 MB file, and I think there was a lot of caching going on with this sequential read.
 
Read the 512 MB file
 
 
There is a noticeable anomaly, but the absolute numbers are small and read times are pretty quick. I believe this would need more sampling to see how much variability exists.
 
The final disk test was an intensive random I/O script that looped through reading and writing  with the 512mb file. This one definitely had a negative impact on Hyper-V.
 
 
 
I call the performance abysmal for Windows on Hyper-V as it essentially just ‘fell over’. Dynamic disks were configured for the VMs, and after this surprise result some research turned up a recommendation from Microsoft that static disks should be used for random I/O. These test results are a good illustration of why benchmarking is important. Bear this in mind and create static disks up front for random I/O until this issue is confirmed to be resolved. I attempted to convert the dynamic disks to static and the wait time was longer than my patience.
 
Summary of disk I/O results
Random I/O on a Hyper-V dynamic disk had terrible performance, so remember to create static disks.
 
On Friday I'll be showing you the test results for Individual VM Memory.
 
Dale Feiste
Consultant
 


No comments:

Post a Comment