Friday 14 September 2012

vSphere vs Hyper-V showdown - Results - Individual VM Memory,Network and Grand finale


Results - Individual VM Memory and Network

If you’ve been following my series you’ll know that today is the grand finale, I’ll be looking at the test results for all workloads running at the same time on multiple VMs.

Before we get to that the next tests I conducted were for memory using a memory consumption script.
 
 
 

I wanted to determine whether there was an impact on the dynamic memory. The windows allocation was faster in this case and seemed to be utilizing its memory better with no negative impact from using dynamic memory.
 
I ran a network test next ....
 
Results - Individual VM Network
 
As  mentioned previously I would need to run more tests to see the levels of variability, but there was a slight advantage for vSphere.
 
 
and now the test results for all workloads running at the same time on multiple VMs, the winner is..........
 
 
It was a draw!
Overall I was pretty surprised at how evenly matched the two were when running multiple workloads simultaneously.
On Monday I’ll show some metrics from both platforms that I collected using athene, to use on an ongoing basis for my capacity management.

Dale Feiste
Consultant

 



 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment