Friday 31 July 2015

Forecasting, when Modelling is not the only Choice - Forecasting and Virtualization (5 of 5)

Virtualization has thrown us a lot of curve balls when it comes to forecasting. It’s a compact environment with a smaller footprint which reduces your IT costs.


It always throws up the questions how much more can I fit? How much headroom do I have?
Headroom


What is the Correct Technique?
This is the big question and which technique you choose is dependent on:
        What the end-user is expecting.
        Which technique gives you the best result for the question/s that have been asked.
        How much time you have to produce a result.
Summary
To summarize my series in a few words you need to:
        Understand what the forecast is to accomplish.
        Know what enterprise standards dictate.
        Ensure you have as much business and technical information as possible.
        Trend when trends make sense.
        Have a repeatable process.
        Document process and assumptions.

I hope you've enjoyed my series and if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.
I'll be running a webinar 'Why do we model in the UK, monitor in Japan, and manage in the USA?' - don't forget to register for your place now.
http://www.metron-athene.com/services/webinars/index.html

Charles Johnson
Principal Consultant

No comments:

Post a Comment